Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Making a Video with Google Story Builder

Making My First Video!

      Okay, if teachers would have Bucket Lists just for their profession, I think I would be going down the line this summer.  Google Educator 2 is pushing me to learn new things and do apps and programs I would never have known about nor thought possible.  
        Granted, my first video doesn't have my face or voice, but I think it's a good start by doing something that is definitely out of my comfort zone.  I love Youtube videos for my instruction and get bummed when I can't find a video to fit what I want to do in a lesson.  Now, I will be more apt to venture out on my own and make one on my own.  I wanted to use Youtube Creator Studio because it may be on the Google Educator 2 Exam.  I've been trying to practice before taking it.  I could not just add a video from Youtube to practice.  It seems I needed my own video.  I contacted Matt Miller from #DitchBook and he said it can be done, but alas I could not figure it out, so I made my own video. However, it's so cool to have a PLN and an actual author message you back and forth on Twitter!  Something I never would have believed possible last year.  Below is how the equation played out:

       Google Story Builder + Quicktime + Youtube Creator Studio = Google Slides Hyperdoc

        On Saturday I took a Webinar and the presenter, Jerry Swiatek, showed Google Story Builder.  I immediately saw how I followed the words more intensely as they typed across the screen.  I want my students to be able to have that intensity when reading and to be able to see how a small conversation builds up to bigger things in the story.  I took a small conversation between Abigail and Parris in "The Crucible" and set it to music. After I made my video on Google Story Builder I had to find a way to get it uploaded to Youtube.  I uploaded it using what was on Macbook Air - Quicktime.  I chose the boxed area I wanted to record and hit "record"  I think next time I will have a narrator part at the beginning and end saying what the video entails and what the purpose of the video will be afterward.
         I  uploaded it to Youtube and then used Youtube Creator Studio to add captions.  This is what I normally do with students.  We read and then I stop and explain key ideas and "watch-fors" as they read.  By doing this video this way, students do not have to hear me talk on and on, they can continue to watch the dialogue that I want them to hone in on.  Many times this type of dialogue is lost with the other more racy dialogue in this text.  However, Arthur Miller is making a social commentary and so much of it is important in terms of reputation and respect.
        This time, I went a step further and I made a mini-hyperdoc giving students step-by-step instructions and embedded the video into the Slide.  This turned the video into a segment of something purposeful.  At the end of the hyperdoc it asks students to turn a piece of dialogue in Act One into a video of some sort for one of the options.  If I have five periods of students, I should get a few more videos each year so that I can have a lot of videos for analysis.
        I came up with an original activity in one afternoon by going out of my comfort zone and failing, but fighting back.  I took a break in between and went grocery shopping with my daughter, but I think that I made what I had stronger because I distanced myself for awhile.  I would encourage anyone weary of trying something like this, to just try.  Also, my next adventure might be an actual video with my face or voice or both! Who knows?  With Google at my fingertips, I feel like everything is possible for me as a teacher and learner.

My video is below:

Here is the mini-hyperdoc:


        

No comments:

Post a Comment